Wednesday 27 June 2018

Nutella Pastry Puffs!



Happiness is knowing that there’s a crazy good dessert to look forward to after a great main! We did a little entertaining over the weekend and I jumped at the opportunity to ‘up’ my dessert skills. From my posts on this blog and my other Kisha’s Kitchen channels, you can probably see the lack of desserts (Working on it!) This is not because I don’t love dessert, I certainly do! I just feel that baking requires so much more effort and precision than cooking that I just get tired thinking about it. I love using my own flare in cooking especially with estimating ingredients. But in all honesty, whenever I have attempted to make dessert - they turn out great so I can’t complain.




I thought long and hard about what I wanted to serve up for dessert. A cake meant a lot left over for the week and I don’t have any self-control. I would’ve eaten the entire thing all by myself so I eliminated that thought. A brownie or a slice would be too heavy and would leave us feeling sluggish. And then I stumbled upon a picture of one of my earlier posts which was of blueberry breakfast pastries. I wanted to try a different filling with different fruits and couldn’t go past the huge tub of Nutella staring at me from my pantry. And strawberries and bananas are just made for chocolate!




Now, I’ve raved on earlier too about my undying love for puff pastry and that is exactly what you use for these chocolate puffs. They are so versatile and add the perfect amount of crisp. As always, egg and milk wash can help to golden the edges of the puffs and should be used generously. Also, lightly scoring a mini circle within the puff pastry circle will help to keep the filling low and the edges raised giving you traditional Danish pastry vibes. Yes, I have my tricks ;) Follow the super easy method below to create your own Nutella puffs!

Ingredients:

2x puff pastry sheets, thawed
Nutella spread (Quantity as desired)
Sliced strawberries
Sliced bananas
1 egg
Few tbsp of milk or milk alternative

Method:

Preheat oven to 160 C fan forced. Cut 4x circles from one puff pastry sheet using a cookie cutter, edge of a cup or glass or any circle prop. Repeat with the other sheet to have 8 circles in total.

Score a mini circle within the pastry circle, leaving a 1-1.5cm gap from the edge and spread desired amount of Nutella in the middle.

Prepare egg wash by combining egg and milk and brush generously on the edges of the pastry circle.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pastry turns golden. Remove and top with sliced strawberries and bananas. Serve warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment