Monday 25 June 2018

Cashew & Coconut Butter Paneer



Hello my fellow readers! I am back! I decided to take a break back in March because I was going through a job change and coping with a new environment/responsibilities really took a toll on my spare time. Now that I've settled in, I feel like I've got way more order in my work week and realised that I DO actually have time to share all my wonderful and creative recipes with you. Starting with a delicious butter paneer simmered in cashew and coconut sauce. For those of you asking, "What the heck is paneer?!" - it's a type of cheese used very commonly in Indian cooking. It's a great substitute for meat and trying more vegetarian recipes is definitely in my 'to do' checklist. 


Now I've made paneer before and my husband swore that this dish just wasn't for him. Totally heartbroken, I thought I could never enjoy this for dinner again - Until last Thursday where I had an intense craving for paneer all damn day. I don't know what triggered it (Definitely not pregnancy if that's what you're thinking!!!) but I was on a mission. I left work early so I could make it to the Indian grocer before they closed for the day and bought the most beautiful chunk of paneer that I could find. I came home and rummaged through my pantry and found Pathak's cashew and coconut simmer sauce. This thing is like hitting the jackpot - So flavourful and thick. You really get your moneys worth and you'll be able to find it at any supermarket. 


Although I did use store-bought simmer sauce, adding your own herbs and spices really can lift your entire dish. As you can see in  the picture above, I do fry my paneer on medium-low heat so it can have a slight crunch and brown skin. Follow my step by step method below to create your own bowl of cheesy goodness! 

Ingredients:

200g paneer (Usually kept in the cold section and will need dicing into smaller squares)
450g Pathaks cashew and coconut simmer sauce
3-4 tablespoons thickened cream
1 small red onion sliced 
3-4 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tsp ginger minced 
3-4 red chillies crushed 
4-5 dried bay leaves
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chilli powder 
1-2 tsp cumin seeds 
2-3 tbsp oil of your choice 
Salt to taste 
Chopped coriander to serve 

Method

Heat oil in fry pan on medium heat and add sliced onions. Brown for a couple of minutes and add cumin seeds and dried bay leaves. 

Saute for a few minutes and add garlic, ginger, chillies, turmeric and chilli powder. Mix well and add diced paneer. 

Turn heat to low and cook paneer until it has browned all over and this will usually take 7-10 minutes. Once the paneer has reached your desired colour, add in 3/4 jar of the Pathaks simmer sauce. Mix well and add thickened cream. 

Simmer for a further 10 minutes to allow the paste and spices to combine and add desired salt if needed. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and extra thickened cream (optional) and serve warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment