Friday 2 March 2018

Spinach & Ricotta Rolls


If you've been following my blog or Instagram for a while now, you can probably see the undying love I have for pastry. Crispy, flaky puff pastry. That is exactly what I used on these spinach and ricotta rolls that I made a few days ago. My husband isn't a man that craves specific foods but when he asked for this, I rolled up my sleeves, put on my apron and got baking; partly because I am a good wife and maybe also because I am a fan of this too!


It was also only a few days ago that we were discussing trialing out vegetarian dishes as part of our cooking week so having spinach in these rolls felt like we were going towards the right direction ha! Even though I have been cooking for what seems forever, estimating filling for pastry dishes still gives me a different kind of anxiety. But my lucky run continued from the shepherds pie and potato situation and I was on the money for the 4 sheets of puff pastry that I had thawed.


This recipe is totally weeknight friendly and before I knew it, I had 32 beautiful rolls in front of me ready to go into the oven! Remember to be generous with the egg wash because that is the only formula for absolutely golden rolls. 

Ingredients:

4 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
500g of frozen spinach, thawed and drained using a colander 
400g of smooth ricotta
1 cup of grated cheese 
3/4 cup of parmesan
2 eggs (One is for filling, the other for egg wash)
1/4 teaspoon salt 
Black pepper 
Few teaspoons of milk or milk alternative 
Sesame seeds for garnish
Oil spray

Method:

Preheat oven to 170 C fan forced and grease and line baking trays with paper baking. 

In a bowl, add the drained spinach, ricotta, grated cheese, parmesan, 1 egg and salt and pepper. Mix well. 

Cut your puff pastry sheet in half so you have two rectangles, place the filling down in the middle and even out. Prepare your egg wash by using 1 egg and milk and spread on both edges of the rectangle. Using one side, roll and seal the rectangle to the other edge. Press down gently to seal the edge. Cut to make four bite size rolls.

Repeat with the other 7 rectangles the remainder of the puff pastry sheets will make and place on the prepared baking trays. Brush generously with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 25 minutes and then swap the trays in the oven so that both batches can be golden can bake for a further 10. Serve while warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment