Monday 25 March 2019

All about the 'Meal Prep' life!


Hi everyone! It’s been a month since I’ve posted on here and yes I’ve been counting. Some new things have happened over the past four weeks - I’ve changed jobs and now work 24/7 (Or that’s what it feels like), we’ve adopted meal prepping for weeknight dinners as a result of my job change and after two years of continuous sulking I finally convinced my husband to not work weekends. Talk about starting the New Year right, right?

Well as stoked as I was to land a new gig in my professional career, I was actually quite sad to not be able to cook every day. But I also live by the motto of ‘quality over quantity’ so when I do get time to cook now, which will be weekends, I’m aiming to go over and beyond. (Watch this space!) So after assessing every pro and con of meal prepping, I decided to give in. And to be honest, it wasn’t that bad. For week 1, I only had to meal prep 12 meals instead of the usual 16 because we have long weekend plans but it took me 2 and ½ hours from start to finish. It also wasn’t continuous cooking for all that time; most of the meals were set and forget.

I have to confess I am very picky when it comes to eating leftovers because I feel sometimes the taste of food deteriorates if not eaten fresh. I’ve noticed this especially with chicken so I decided to leave out breast/thighs in the first week to not get put off. The three meals that I opted for were:

1. Diced beef in fajita seasoning
2. Lamb rogan josh
3. Chicken mince and beans in taco seasoning

I mainly prepped the protein because for me that takes the longest on weeknights. I decided to leave the sides open to how we were feeling on the night. So my thought process for diced beef was to have that in a wrap with readymade Asian salad, the rogan josh with rice or readymade parathas/naans and chicken mince and beans could be alternated in tacos or enchiladas. I already bought the possible sides in my weekly grocery shop so there was no room for fluffing around on the night.

As week 1 is just starting, I won’t be able to tell you what worked and what didn’t just yet but I will most definitely write another post in a few weeks to update you on how it’s coming along and if I’ve made any changes. I’d also love to hear your ideas on meal prepping and if you’ve got any tips for an amateur ‘meal prepper’ like myself, leave me a comment on this post or send me a message through any of my social channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment