Friday 2 March 2018

Simple Banana Cake


I don't know about you guys but I really try and use everything in my fridge before making the decision to throw it out. I had frozen bananas in my fridge for a couple of months and when I had a chance to make a dessert for a dinner we were invited to; I thought what better way to use up those darn bananas?! This cake is so simple and easy and reminds me of my maternal grandma as she was the banana cake queen. I tried to switch things up and added a hint of coconut and lemon in the cream cheese icing and I think it worked. Also added up some chopped walnuts for a little crunch. 

Ingredients:

1 and a 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 bananas, mashed 
1 cup brown sugar
125g butter, at room temperature 
2 eggs
1/4 water 

125g cream cheese
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Desiccated coconut (however much you like)
Handful of chopped walnuts

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line your cake pan (I used a 20cm cake pan)

In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat after adding each one. 

In another bowl, sift the flour and baking soda. Mix well and fold into the cream mixture. Add the mashed bananas and water until combined. 

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 

For the icing, beat the cream cheese until smooth and gradually add the icing sugar. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in your desired amount of coconut and spread on top of cake once cooled. Add chopped walnuts and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment