Monday 12 February 2018

Classic Roast Chicken


When I think of a Sunday, along with images of sleep ins and brunch dates; a picture of a golden, crispy and succulent roast chicken appears! Maybe I'm slightly exaggerating... But you cannot argue that a classic roast chicken isn't a token Sunday meal. I whipped up some gravy to complement this perfectly cooked chicken and plated it up with some crunchy and spicy roasted potatoes. I knew that the meat would be falling off the bone by the time it came out of the oven, so I wanted something crunchy to add to the textures of the entire meal. 


You will be surprised at the number of ingredients I used to make this roast chicken. (I can count it on one hand) I started off with smothering the chicken generously with olive oil on both sides (This is essential for crispy skin) and seasoning it with salt and pepper. Then I peeled an entire onion and used it as the stuffing; and also added a few cloves of garlic in there too. And ta-da! That is it. Literally. I have one tip for this roast chicken; every 20-30 minutes, baste the chicken in the juices that have fallen on the tray. This is where the real flavour is! Also if you decide to make gravy, use the same drippings in the gravy for added flavour. 

Ingredients

4-5 tablespoons of olive oil 
1 medium sized onion
4-5 cloves of peeled garlic
Salt
Pepper 

Method

Preheat your oven to 180 C/ 356 F. Wash and pat dry your whole chicken with some paper towels. Place it on a roasting pan and generously coat with olive oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper and you use your hands to really rub it into the skin of the chicken. Stuff the chicken with the peeled onion and cloves of garlic. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until no longer pink. Remember to baste the chicken with the drippings every 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment